What is 2 factor authentication and how does it work?
Good news from VBRAE!
Finally we have enstablished a good 2FA system that everyone will take advantage of.
Two-factor authentication (2FA) is a security process that requires two different authentication factors to verify a user's identity. This adds an extra layer of security to online accounts and helps to protect them from unauthorized access.
Key features of 2FA:
- Increased security: 2FA makes it much more difficult for attackers to gain access to accounts, even if they have stolen a password. This is because the attacker would also need to have possession of the second authentication factor, such as a phone or a security token.
- Reduced risk of phishing attacks: Phishing attacks are attempts to trick users into revealing their personal information, such as passwords. 2FA can help to protect against phishing attacks because even if a user enters their password into a fake website, the attacker will not be able to access the account without the second authentication factor.
- Ease of use: Many 2FA methods are very easy to use and require little additional effort from the user. For example, many people already have a smartphone that they can use to receive SMS codes or install an authenticator app.
Different types of 2FA factors:
- Something you know: This is typically a password, but it could also be a PIN, a secret question, or a pattern.
- Something you have: This is a physical object that you must possess in order to authenticate. Examples include a smartphone, a security token, or a card.
- Something you are: This is a biometric factor, such as a fingerprint, facial recognition, or voice recognition.
Benefits of using 2FA:
- Protects sensitive data: 2FA can help to protect sensitive data, such as financial information or personal records, from falling into the wrong hands.
- Prevents unauthorized access: 2FA can help to prevent unauthorized access to online accounts, such as email, social media, and banking accounts.
- Reduces the risk of data breaches: 2FA can help to reduce the risk of data breaches by making it more difficult for attackers to gain access to sensitive information.
Overall, 2FA is a valuable security tool that can help to protect online accounts from unauthorized access. It is a relatively simple process to implement and can provide a significant increase in security.
Combined with Google Authenticator it will do the work.
Google Authenticator is a two-factor authentication (2FA) app that generates time-based one-time passwords (TOTPs) to verify your identity when you log in to a website or service. This adds an extra layer of security to your online accounts, making it much more difficult for hackers to gain access, even if they have your username and password.
Here are some of the key features of Google Authenticator:
Time-based one-time passwords (TOTPs): Google Authenticator generates time-based one-time passwords that change every 30 seconds. This means that even if a hacker steals your password, they will only be able to use it for a short period of time.
Multi-account support: You can use Google Authenticator to generate TOTPs for multiple accounts. This is convenient if you use 2FA for a lot of different websites and services.
Offline functionality: Google Authenticator can generate TOTPs even when you are not connected to the internet. This is useful if you are traveling or if you do not have a reliable internet connection.
QR code scanning: You can set up Google Authenticator by scanning a QR code. This is a quick and easy way to add new accounts to the app.
Backup and recovery: You can back up your Google Authenticator accounts to a file. This is important in case you lose your phone or if you need to switch to a new device. You can also recover your accounts from a backup file.
Support for a variety of platforms: Google Authenticator is available for Android, iOS, and BlackBerry devices.
In addition to these core features, Google Authenticator also offers a number of other features, such as:
- Support for custom labels: You can add custom labels to your accounts to make them easier to identify.
- Support for multiple languages: Google Authenticator is available in a variety of languages.
- A dark mode: Google Authenticator has a dark mode that is easier to use in low-light conditions.
Google Authenticator is a free and easy-to-use app that can significantly improve the security of your online accounts. I highly recommend using it if you are not already doing so.